Monday, June 16, 2014

#LDSConf                                                 April 7, 2014


I LOVE GENERAL CONFERENCE. But really, it was amazing. And it went by way to fast. They should have that more often. Or maybe it's about time that another apostle comes and visits our mission. That would be ideal. This week has been quite the party. 
One new skill that I acquired was how to do epoxy. We did that on someones garage floor this week. It looked really nice. We want to do it the house we're living in. Even though we don't use the garage...or at least I'm scared to use the garage since I've literally never parked in one before. I would hate to run through the house.haha. 
We did a bit of tracting this week, which is always entertaining. One mans response before we even said a word, "Ohhh. It's you. I'm not interested." It's so funny to see peoples responses. We were able to teach a few people about the Book of Mormon who were interested and now we just need to follow up! And we know from Elder Ballard that, "If we follow up, the Lord won't let us down." :)
One little boy asked us this week if we were the mail man. That was a first. There was a bit of a disappointment. We were supposed to teach Alex on Wednesday, and she texted us and told us that she didn't want to meet with us anymore, that she and her dad were HEAVILY Catholic. That was tough. I've never had anyone just come out and say that they don't wanna meet with us, when we're already teaching them. I think she was anti'd. Because she had agreed to be baptized and was really excited to learn more, at least we thought. It's hard that people have their agency! But as we learned from President Eyring, "You can'y force righteousness, righteousness must be chosen."
Thursday Sister Hibbard got sick and we were in for the most part of the day. She slept for 13 hours straight. Pretty darn impressive. It killed her to be inside but  you could tel just from looking at her that she felt like death. 
We did have a miracle. We decided to go visit one more family before going home when she was sick. We decided to go see the Chruchill family. They are less active. We thought that all of her kids were baptized. Turns out, none of them are baptized. And Shelbie, Sister Chruchill's 17 year olf daughter started talking to us about how she doesn't know anything about the church and really wants to learn. She has a lot of LDS friends at school, some of them are even getting mission calls. So she is way interested in learning about it. So hopefully from teaching her we'll be able to teach the whole family. And those who need to be baptized will follow the example of Jesus Christ, and the whole family will be back at church! Shelbie is awesome and I'm so excited to teach her this week! 
Friday we had interviews with President Nattress which was fun. And lots of training from the assistants. Among other things I learned how to say yes in Japanese, "Hai." And that our housing coordinators at one point in their life built a legit tee-pee and lived in it for a few months...with 4 kids. President Nattress is an amazing man, and it's always good to chat with him. Although I never really know what to ask him. So I never ask him any questions.
We were able to teach Anthony this week. He was supposed to come to conference as well, but that did't happen. He has a firm believe that he's been "saved" and that's all you have to do to return and live with God again. I can't recall anywhere in the bible where being "saved" is anything that was taught by Christ or any prophets. We are saved through living the gospel of Jesus Christ. Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and Enduring to the End. And living the gospel brings us happiness here, and eternal life in the world to come! 
Conference was the highlight of the week. I love hearing for the prophet and apostles. It's zee best. It's really hard to pick a favorite. There were a few things that stuck out to me. One, was LOVE! 
"Loving them is a powerful foundation for them who you want to help." -Elder Richard G. Scott. 
"Love is the very essence of the Gospel of Jesus Christ."-President Monson
"Christlike love is the greatest need we have in the world" -Elder Holland 
There's much more that I learned and much more that happened this week, I feel like I didn't really talk about much! Whoops. Sorry about that. I'll try again next week. I know that the Lord will continue to give me the strength that I need each day to go and find those who are lost. I feel His guidance in all that I do. And I'm grateful for this amazing experience I have to serve a mission and to strengthen my personal conviction to follow the Savior. Thanks for all that y'all do for me! 
Love, 
Sister Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment