Tuesday, January 7, 2014

#almatheyounger                                  December 30, 2013

Well, Christmas is over but the excitement of getting to talk to y'all certainly hasn't wore off! It was so good to see everyone, and to hear your laugh Mom. It seems like not too much has changed. Besides the length of Nikki and Delaney's hair. Even still still disregards whatever it is to go biking.
 After we got off the phone, we got to play Scattegories with the Greers. Brother Greer said that he never loses, and I said that I never lose. We ended up tying. I feel like he had an unfair advantage since as a missionary I'm totally out of the world! But oh well. Then we chilled at our apartment, went to supper at a families house. And then had a zone activity. Watching The Chronicles of Narnia was so relaxing! It was the best! And in the white elephant I snagged a real life bowling pin. I know, It's pretty legit.
Probably one of the most amazing experiences I've had on my mission happened the day after Christmas. We were teaching Juan. He's the one that has been in prison for 26 years and was just a bad dude. He was just sobbing about how he wanted all the pain of his past to be gone, etc. his soul was literally racked with torment. He was pleading for help. We talked about the atonement, and forgiveness and how everything that he was feeling could be taken away from him. So we talked about prayer, and asking for help and forgiveness. He was wary to pray because he hadn't prayed before. Everyone at the lesson was just in tears watching him struggle. He kept saying he wanted someone to help him pray, that he didn't know how to ask. So I asked him what he wanted to ask for. And he told us. And then he just started praying! it was the most humble, sincere prayer that I have ever heard. It was full of heart, half the time he was sobbing. Everyone was crying! Part of the time he prayed in Spanish because that's how he can really express himself. After the prayer was over, we all sat there for a few minutes and then I asked him how he felt. He said, "I think he heard me that time." And just started crying. Then he spoke about how he couldn't even see a flash of his past in his mind. That  he felt good and that God really heard him. It was AMAZING! The atonement of Jesus Christ is real! it lifts our burdens, carries us through trials and strengthens our many weaknesses. I know I couldn't be out here doing 99% of the things I do without His help. I know that because of the atonement we can be cleansed and return to live with our Heavenly Father in perfect and complete happiness. All we have to do is ask for the help we need. I saw the faith, courage, and struggle that Juan went through in order for those words to leave his mouth. Humility is the key to unlocking the door to using the atonement. Jesus Christ is the savior of the world. When we were leaving Brother Greer said, "It's not every day you get to teach Alma the Younger." It was amazing! And he came to church yesterday and we taught him. His countenance is completely changed. He looks and feel happy.  He accepted to be baptized, but he just has to be interviewed by the mission president. So we'll see what happens.
Lets seee. Sunday was the longest day of my life! That is dramatic, but still, it was long. I failed to turn my alarm on the night before so we woke up at 6:52 and we had a stake meeting at 7:00. Awesome. We managed to only be 5 minutes late. Then we had church. We taught Jace. When we asked what he got for Christmas he told us that it was a secret. because he didn't want to "share the excitement." He's a funny kid. Then we went to more church, and Sheryl had told us that she wouldn't be able to make it. And then right when the first speaker got up we saw her walk in! She didn't see us. Having investigators at church is really excting but also stressful because you're worried at what people might say! But we could see her shaking her head in agreement with things that were said. She loved church! The third hour was combined-everyone except primary-and we had to do a role play in front of everyone. So stressful. We also taught Juan that evening, and had a weird dinner. We've gotten fed ham soup twice this week. Gag me.
But all in all it was an amazing week! Sorry I am out of time now. Thanks for all that you do for me! I love y'all!










No comments:

Post a Comment