Monday, June 24, 2013

The Arizona Heat... First Encounter!

   I did get your Dear Elder before I left! It's so crazy that I saw Patricia! And the package she sent was so thoughtful! Tell her that I said thanks! And I sent you a letter when I found out my travel plans…I guess it never made it to you? Because I told you between what times I would call. I would have loved to talk to y'all. What did dad say about it?

   So my last few days at the MTC were great! I got to see Erica a few more times and Elder Kekoolani (Joey). It was super funny when we were taking a picture together and he went to put his arm around me…and that isn't allowed. It's so awkward taking pictures with guys. And we aren't supposed to like hold babies and stuff…but there are so many cute little kids in the wards where I'm at. 

   When we arrived in AZ and were walking through the airport it was crazy to see what a stir that about thirty missionaries will make in an airport. Everyone was staring at as, we were all super nervous to meet the mission president. One person asked if we were all coming home that day.haha. Quite the opposite actually. There were also a few people flying to Utah to go to the MTC so it was cool to chat with them for a second. Our mission president and his wife, the Assistant to the President, and some of his counselors were waiting for us. They were all super nice. After we got our luggage we headed to the mission home. We had a brunch and then some meetings and paperwork and whatnot. Then that evening we went to ASU to do our first street contacting experiences! That night I stayed with this old lady, she was super nice and had us some cookies and milk..but the milk tasted so disgusting. Seriously, it was gross. 

   Wednesday was transfer meeting, and it was the last one with President Howes so all the missionaries in the mission were there. And as of July 1st I will be serving in the Gilbert Mission. Which is so tiny, and it's kinda depressing. But there are tons of awesome members. My area currently is one square mile that has three wards in it. We don't have a car, so when we need a ride to a store or meeting and stuff we have to get a member to take us. Thanks for the note that was in my bedding! That was sweet and what I needed on that day. It was pretty overwhelming to be split from the few people that I've grown close to in the MTC. Now we're divided up among four missions and won't see but a few of them for a couple years. 

   The Tempe mission has some cool traditions. One being wearing our name tag on the right side, which was a little odd at first but it's cool I guess. They also made a third verse to "Called to Serve" specifically about the mission which is fun. 

   My trainer is Sister Holcomb, she's been out three months and is from Washington. She's super nice and we get along really well. We also have a lot in common. She was actually dating a guy before she left who served in the Tempe mission, so that's pretty hilarious. But they aren't writing or anything. 

   Since the new mission is being formed this transfer is only three weeks long instead of six weeks. Which essentially means that I will get to come home three weeks earlier, at least that's the word on the street. And if that's the case I might even make it home for Thanksgiving, which would be the first time in four years! WHOO! 

   Friday we had more training at the mission home and I was crossing my fingers for some mail…and I got one letter from Beky and Joseph! It was such a cool letter! It had all her recent Instagram posts and pictures from the lake. 

   My apartment is pretty nice, nothing fancy. Nicer than Liberty Square, that's for sure. My bike is super good too. Sister Holcomb for the first few days was just like spinning on her bike as I casually coasted behind her, but I figured I  should teach her about the gears a little bit. And that basically changed her life.
We literally stop to talk to everyone we pass, which can be pretty awkward on a bike, wearing a helmet, with your skirt doing who knows what. There are tons of members here, and most of those that aren't have heard of the church. When we OYM(Open Your Mouth) to a member they just start to smile and then we realize they're a member. If they aren't then they look at us like we have no clue what social norms are and take our Mormon.org card because they feel sorry for us in the 112 degree sun.
 
   Saturday was like the second day of having orange pee. It's pretty sweet. And I drink tons of water, honestly. It's just all yanked out of my body by the sun.haha. So I'm working on not being dehydrated all the time, I'll let you know how that endeavor goes. We were going to a Bishop's house Saturday and he lives in a gated community and we forgot the code and nobody was answering their phone. So we prayed, and low and behold a car came up and opened the gate for us. BINGO. 

   The members feed us every night at 5:00, except for Monday's. The first night they had this taco pizza that looked good, but the "sauce" was beans. SICK. I barely made it through my piece, but I survived…barely. Another day we had Breakfast for supper which reminded me of Nikki. The waffles were circus animals. SWEET. And we got served some gross Jello, in standard Mormon fashion. So really we just make ourselves breakfast and lunch…which is baking cereal and then ramen noodles or PBJ's.
One of the husbands at one of the houses is the manager for the Gilbert Temple. He gave us some pieces from it.ha. Dad should look into doing tile and terrazzo in temples. That would be pretty sweet. And I bet they prefer members to do it, so Dad would be perfect!

   Riding a bike in a skirt is quite the feat. I'm pretty sure that I flash everyone that drives by…but wearing another layer sounds awful. I have some of those split slips and I think they would work good and they aren't hot but the ones I have are too big so they just slide down. It you could find some of those that would be awesome!

   You're gonna do great at Girls Camp, Mom! You're always the most fun! And tell Delaney that I heard EFY the week of July 4th is the funnest! She should go! Or look into the one that I went to at SVU.

   You were right that I was loaded down with lots of food at the MTC, and before I left I passed the baton to Erica with all my leftovers. Hopefully she's enjoying that! So if you send a package, make it like pretzels and such. POPSICLES. POWERADE. The three P's.ha. And apparently mail isn't checked at the mission home very often, but I'll see what I can do about getting the package you sent! 

   I'm already tired of all my clothes.haha. I actually ruined one skirt on accident. I was biking and it got caught in the tire/gears/brake/..something. We were riding along and it was at night. It was my grey skirt which is way long and flowy. All of a sudden it goes tight on my legs and I come to a complete stop. We are on the side of the road for a solid five minutes trying to get my skirt unstuck. People were stopping to ask if we needed help. SO AWKWARD.haha. 

   So we had church yesterday for SEVEN HOURS. We went to all three wards Sacrament and Sunday School and then one Relief Society. Can you say just trying to keep my eyes open?! But the members are all super nice, they always honk and yell at us on the road. Friendly yelling…at least I think so. There's this crazy old lady in one ward. She asked us…"Do you know what you do when someone is standing on top of the toilet?" We said no. She said, "Tell them to get down because they're high on pot!"haha. Then she saw us later and said, "I know where y'all have been…checking to see who's high on pot."haha. We were dying. 

   Also, my apartment is freezing. I FREEZE at night. Could you send my fleece blanket? And some pictures of family, Dallan, and some off my Insta account. Also, a girl tagged me in a Insta post the other day. She tagged Nikki too. So check Insta!

I don't want to, but I need  to get going! I love y'all!

Love,
Sister Adams!













No comments:

Post a Comment